Thursday, August 4, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Nana and I were more than ready to "slow down" after a hectic few weeks, and this recipe fit the bill perfectly.  Another "non-recipe" French Friday with ingredients that we both had on hand ~ yet the results far from ordinary.
We both enjoyed these right out of the oven and just as much as leftovers, accompanying chicken and pasta.




Per Nana ~


I liked this method of cooking tomatoes -slow
 roasting, as it really brought out the flavor.  It reminds
me of sun dried tomatoes, except the flavor is milder.
 

 
The recipe takes no time at all, (except for the
three hours in oven).  I did not use fresh herbs but
instead used dried rosemary and garlic salt (sorry Dorie) .  



After 10 minutes in the oven Hubby
was going nuts with the aroma.

I made this earlier in the week and served it
 with baked pork chops and we loved it.  
Another night I served the leftover tomatoes
 on pasta and it was delicious.

This is definitely a recipe to be used again.


Per Tricia ~



                               I was absolutely delighted to see how simple this
 week's recipe was, and even more delighted when it
 delivered unexpected wonderful results.


  While I was a little incredulous of having the oven on for
 3 hours (225 or not.....) I followed Dorie's instructions and
even made a double batch.  Boy, am I glad I did.   

I went with dried Thyme, since I had it on hand, and used fresh
 pepper, fresh garlic, Maldon sea salt and Extra Virgin Olive oil. 
The family + a visiting teen (recall the rhubarb tester ?)
gave a big "thumbs up" and proclaimed the tomatoes
to be "sweet". What's not to love ?

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful! We loved these, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! A double hit. Glad this one worked for both of you.
    I was a little hesitant to run the oven for three hours in this heat, but 225F didn't steam me out of the kitchen as much as I thought it would :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina made these this week, but after all of the wonderful comments I've been reading, I know that I'm going to have to make them this week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your remark about the oven being on for 3 hours. Totally agree. I lucked out because I'm at a rental in Sedona, AZ. Didn't care...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the best roasted tomatoes I have ever eaten :) thank God I was not frightened off by the 3 hours of slow roasting and what I would have missed if I had been put off by the long hours :)

    Yours look great too !

    Have a great weekend,
    Elin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of your batches look fantastic! So red and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that a double batch is definitely in order. In fact I already made a note in my book that I should always double the recipe because the leftovers are so tasty. Happy to hear that you two liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous job, both of you! So glad you all enjoyed it - this one is by far, in my Top 5! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! Now I want a pork chop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tomatoes look wonderful! I'm a bit sorry that I was unwilling to turn on the oven for 3 hours (no way in AZ), but they look terrific, and I'm inspired to try them again. (I did make a cherry tomato recipe - using fresh tomatoes out of the garden...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous looking tomatoes from both you ladies! I didn't switch on my oven this week, so I missed out on the lovely taste of these. Will try it next time since everyone is now raving about how they tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love Dorie's non-recipes? I wish I'd made a double batch. Good call! Glad you both liked it. That's the first time in a while, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should have doubled my batch! Now I want to keep a jar of roasted tomatoes in my fridge at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of you did a great job! I am glad to hear that it worked just as well with the dried herbs! I have some in a jar in the refrigerator as well and we will be snacking on it this weekend. I don't think I can go without a jar of these in my refrigerator now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So smart making a double batch! I'm looking forward to impressing guests with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I'd made a double batch, now, too. This is another one of Dorie's recipes that adapts well to what you have on hand. I used fresh tarragon with mine, since I had it on hand. It's good to know how well it works with dried spices, too. Both your batches look beautiful! I've been loving everyone's serving suggestions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I doubled this too--next time I'll try for a triple.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is nothing not to like with these flavorful tomatoes!
    We loved them with halibut and zucchini, I bet they were good with your baked pork chop and the pasta. I will be making these again before summer is over;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So simple but oh so delicious. You're right though - requires some patience! Glad you both enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your tomatoes look lovely! The double batch was such a good idea I will have to do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm trying a post here again, using your suggestion. Let's see if it works. Your tomatoes look terrific! Yeah, it worked...I unchecked stay logged in. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Double batch! You got the right idea. These are good and may as well make use of that 3hr roasting time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that there are so many tasty ways to serve these, great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Tricia and Nana,

    I'm so glad that the two of you -- and bunches of your readers and co-FFwDers -- loved the recipe. It's just the kind of recipe that I love also: easy, flavorful, adaptable, super-play-aroundable and soooo pretty.

    A 'little bird' landed on my windowsill this morning and I thought I heard it say that today is Nana's birthday. Nana's big and very special birthday.

    *Happy Birthday, Nana!* I hope that today will be the start of many more delicious years.

    xoDorie

    ReplyDelete
  25. We loved these too! Can't beat a recipe that is so easy, versatile and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! A comment from Dorie! :) Nice job ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. hey you two! I finally got around to making them and they were perfect tucked into Bison Burgers I made last night. I'm afraid they aren't lasting long as I'm eating them like candy.

    ReplyDelete