Friday, April 10, 2015

Salmon Tartare


Per Nana~
As pretty as this dish looks, there is no way I would eat the fish raw. 
I prepared the recipe using only a quarter of the ingredients
 simply because I did not want to add this to my make-up list. 
I used a biscuit cutter for the ring and that worked perfectly. 
I made sure I had the camera ready when I removed the ring,
 thinking it would fall apart. (It did not)
I will admit that I sampled a smidgen of the dish and surprisingly, 
I was more turned off by the lime flavor than the raw fish. For 
anyone that loves raw seafood, this is a beautiful presentation.  
Per Tricia~
I am not a fan of raw fish (possibly genetic :) and evidently I am
 also quite lazy, since the time consuming work on the limes was 
enough to sway me unfavorably against this week's recipe. 
That said, I could not get over how wonderful the aroma of the 
fresh limes, chives, mint and scallions was - not to mention 
how gorgeous all the ingredients looked as they got prepped.  
I was truly excited to give this a try. 
Unfortunately I did not care for the flavors. Not surprising, but I 
was surprised that my sushi loving husband also did not care for 
it, saying he did not like the lime/tomato combo. 
All was not lost as this recipe reminded me how much I love fresh mint 
and I now have plans to plant some fresh mint in my garden.....

Happy French Friday ~

12 comments:

  1. Okay, this was all about the two of you making the most of a bad situation. And, bravo to you for doing that. This week's recipe is one of the most colorful and photo-friendly choices we have had. Everyone's photos were beautiful. You were not the only two Doristas to complain about the overpowering lime flavoring. On the other hand, you need the lime to "cook" the salmon, so to speak. Tricia, be careful where you plant your Mint. It does like to take over, as you know. Apparently, Spring is coming to the East. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think of this until reading your post but I DID go to the trouble of supreming (is that a word) the limes but didn't even use them. After a helping of zest and the addition of lime juice I didn't even think to use them and they were not missed. (You can see on my photo they were absent.) Lime and mint is one of my favorite combinations and in fact my favorite cologne uses these as primary. I can see why their inclusion would be overpowering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give you both kudos for making a raw fish dish when there was no way you were eating it. You are good sports. If you tone down the mint, maybe you can try Kathy or Jora's adaptation with lox or cooked salmon, assuming it's in your genes to like cooked fish (I can't remember). When you plant your mint, leave it in the plastic pot and bury the pot. That will help curb its enthusiasm, though it will still wander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Sorry this one was not a hit for you ladies. They both look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to mother & daughter team of going ahead with the raw salmon salad, such lovely colors from both kitchens! I used three medium-ish size limes, used all the three components of it - zest, juice and flesh, mint and shallots (or rather spring onions) from my container garden. My mint plants are always struggling, not growing wild!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to mother & daughter team of going ahead with the raw salmon salad, such lovely colors from both kitchens! I used three medium-ish size limes, used all the three components of it - zest, juice and flesh, mint and shallots (or rather spring onions) from my container garden. My mint plants are always struggling, not growing wild!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I hadn't read your post - I would have thought that you'd loved this dish! The photos are beautiful. So, well done for trying!

    I echo Mary's advice about the mint - put it in a pot! It will spread everywhere. But I love it. So it's ok.

    I happen to love lime and tomato, since in the southwest it's a traditional combo, though like Betsy, cilantro is more often used. I did add the supremes, my lime must have been pretty mild because it wasn't too overpowering. But that's how things go sometimes!!

    Good work for getting this done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You both did a GREAT job. Such pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the lime cubes were too much for me! They will be left off next time :) your photos are great and it looks like you guys enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually cut the amount of lime in mine, and thought it was really good…Bill was not a fan of the lime! I also made mine with lox…because I’ll eat that! You both deserve kudos for this weeks adventures in eating! I can’t believe you made this knowing no one would eat it. Doristas do or die!! I’m not that dedicated!
    Looking forward to our NYC adventure tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were troupers :-)
    Tricia - I echo the sentiments re: keeping your mint potted. I planted mint in the back yard at my last house and it took over 1/3 of the back yard (I am not even exaggerating).

    Now, it was so, so lovely to see you both last night. I had THE best time. Good food (too much good food) and even better companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job trying this even though you found it unappealing. We can't all like everything.

    ReplyDelete