Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tzatziki


Per Nana~
Thanks to Mary we can pronounce this week's recipe of TZATZIKI, as well as a few other difficult words. I am not fond of yogurt, especially Greek yogurt, so I was sure this was not for me.

With that in mind, I immediately cut the recipe in half.  After chilling for a few hours, I tested it with a cracker and found it to be delicious. I cut a red pepper into strips and used it as a dip, and even spread some on a sandwich for lunch. I am definitely going to be making this again, but next time I will prepare the full recipe.
Per Tricia~
I caught a bit of a break this week as I made the Tzatziki (along with my older son doing the same recipe from afar) for "Food Revolution Day". My good intentions originally had me making up one of the many recipes I have missed from FFWD...but ultimately the only new recipe I knocked out this week was for banana bread. I decided to deal with the over ripe ones on my counter, in desperate need of attention.  So I tried a new recipe from "Cook's Illustrated" for "ultimate banana bread".  And without Dorie's wonderful attention to detail- I missed the reason I chose the recipe in the first place - the sliced bananas on top !  

The actual recipe did not spell them out as an ingredient, so of course I went on my merry way  - forgetting all about them.  Until I got the last step, which instructed me to arrange banana slices on top.  My taste-testers found this to be hilarious. Me, not so much, as all available bananas were now mush. My guys went on to admonish me that "all cook's learn to read the entire recipe from start to finish before taking the first step".  These guys have been supervising FFWD too long.  Of course I replied that the recipe had a breach of protocol and should have separately stated the slices in the ingredients list, as a "reserve" .....explaining that Dorie would have done so and never would have let me down :)  Next week, back to the big book- AMFT.  PS- I am not bothering to include the recipe as it did not get a standing ovation.  Note the sugar on top is from IKEA. Doesn't everyone go there to purchase groceries ? 

Happy French Friday~

15 comments:

  1. Love that Nana enjoyed this one after being a little dubious. It's amazing what a few ingredients can do to magic up some Greek yoghurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, I am guilty of doing things like that ALL the time!
    Nana, so glad you enjoyed this one after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go to IKEA to stock up on lingonberry juice and elderflower syrup AT LEAST once a month. LOVE your "breach of protocol" excuse Tricia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana, the funny thing is this is the only way I can eat cucumbers - there's something about the combination of them with the yogurt that works for me. So glad you enjoyed this - I'd never thought of spreading it on a sandwich. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nana, I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It's so fun when recipes are a pleasant surprise! I love your serving bowl.

    Tricia, I've had that problem too. Recipes really need to be more clear when you're supposed to save part of an ingredient for later. Sorry the banana bread wasn't a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha - failure to pay attention is a huge problem here :-) And yes, I hate it when people throw my own words back in my face. They should just know better :-)

    Glad this was a winner

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can get sugar at Ikea? Who knew...Glad you enjoyed the Tzatziki, and the ultimate banana bread looks very tempting. I'm suddenly craving some. Happy French Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nana, I'm glad that this one surprised you. I love your bowl. My mom had one like that. Tricia, you crack me up. But you're right, they should have been more specific. Too bad it wasn't a winning recipe like Dorie's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL it looks great even without the sliced bananas on top but that now gives me ideas for the next time I make banana bread - although, never fear, more than likely, I will forget about the sliced bananas for the top too since I take entirely way too much joy in mashing bananas...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nana, I love your cabbage leaf dish. I didn't think I would like this either, and was surprised. Tricia, your banana bread looks very handsome, bananas on top or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad this recipe has turned you on to yogurt a little Nana... yes, and I love the bowl too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tricia, your part of the Post was too funny. And, the big "ultimate banana bread" recipe buildup (probably will have to wade through my CI mags and find the it) and then it wasn't that good. I'm sure you already have a great bb recipe that your boys love. No, I don't buy foodstuffs from IKEA. I did buy a RASKOG (4-tiered rolling cart) from IKEA mailorder. Thought it would be great in my new tiny kitchen to hold my spices, roll them out from the pantry and roll them back in. Well, it arrived in 5,233 separate pieces and I have yet to put it together despite the 32-page fully-illustrated book of directions that came with it! Maybe I should stick to buying only foodstuffs from IKEA. Glad you like that delicious Tzatziki, Nana. See you both soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bowl is perfect. What a great recipe for a simple celebration. I think this could turn anyone onto yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I remember that recipe on ATK and have it aside somewhere too for when those bananas scream out. I just made this tzatsiki and I can't imagine the pain of realizing you only had made a half batch! I ate what I didn't eat at lunch straight out of a bowl with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete