Friday, June 29, 2012

Corn Pancakes

Interesting to find that simple and savory pancakes made from a can of corn 
 made it "Around Dories' French Table"...but we are glad they did !

Per Nana:
The most difficult part of this recipe was digging out my blender. 
 I am a person that does not like to clutter
the countertop with appliances so I "store them".
That said, this was one simple recipe.  
I blended the corn, flour, eggs and salt into a beautiful mix.
Before I started to fry the pancakes I happened to check out  the
 "LYL" on Dorie's website. There was one entry and they were not too
 pleased with the results so I decided to fix it before I started.
I fried halve of the recipe as per Dorie, and to the rest I added grated Italian
 cheese and cayenne pepper.  The dark brown pancakes are the cheese
version and I think I over cooked them.  Whatever, they were good.
I must admit, I liked both versions.
I topped each with a bit of sour cream, served it with ham
 slices and a lovely fresh green salad.
Hubby and I enjoyed it all.
The recipe is so simple, and can be used as a great
 little extra appetizer with wine or drinks.
Per Tricia:
We loved this recipe. It was very easy and while you could certainly 
add other ingredients into the pancake if you wanted to play around - 
we genuinely enjoyed the recipe exactly as Dorie shared it.  
Not only was it delicious, but the ease of preparation and fact that you
 basically only needed to make sure you had a can of corn in your
 pantry means I have a very solid chance of reproducing this again
 in the near future !
Like Nana, the toughest part of the process was looking for my
 blender (which I never did locate and moved on to the Cuisinart.......) 
and the taste of these were well worth the effort.  Also like Nana, 
my husband and I had a discussion about what a nice little "nibblie" 
these would make with drinks.  The boys were fans as well.

Great recipe !!

14 comments:

  1. I agree with both! It cannot get easier and low cost than this! Thank you for the warm welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana - I don't like appliances out either. Everyone laughs at me because I lug my Kitchenaid in and out of the pantry everytime I need to use it. Not even the toaster earns counter space...
    Glad to hear these were a hit all around :-)
    Have a wonderful weekend and a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes look delicious. Love that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana and Tricia: all of your corn pancakes look wonderful, with or without added cheese and sour creama as a topping and, of course, I love the serving platter - what could be more appropriate than serving these easy French pancakes on a platter featuring the Eiffel Tower?! Wonderful.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pancakes, both of you! Love the plate! The store vs. on the counter appliances will never end! They´re so useful but so annoying at the same time. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pancakes are perfectly golden. I am glad that everyone enjoyed them! I love the Paris plate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you both liked them! I may have to try adding grated Parmesan - that sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricia and Nana, Both of your versions look wonderfully delicious!! I bet adding the grated cheese was really good…I love cheese on everything! So glad you all enjoyed them! This was a keeper for me, too! Have a great 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Frenchy plate ladies! I really liked these little pancakes too and can definitely see myself making them again. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were a perfect nibble before dinner. Yours were made more perfect by Parisian plate. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving those Eiffel Tower plates! I never even thought to add anything to the batter, but I'm putting it on my list of variations to try! I hope you both have a wonderful 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you both enjoyed these. Both of your pancakes came out beautifully - mine never seem to be that even. I made mine plain, but I like the mix-in ideas, and also the appetizer idea. These are definitely versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed these as well, but like you two ladies, I think that the biggest plus was that they were so darn easy. I could see this being something I turn to when the fridge is bare and I just need to get something on the table quickly. Great pantry meal.

    ReplyDelete