Monday, March 21, 2016

Matcha Financiers ~ Baking Chez Moi

Per Nana~
One of the things about cooking together through any specific cookbook is that 
we eventually come across ingredients in a recipe that are not familiar 
to us. This week's recipe for matcha financiers is a perfect example. 
 I had not heard of matcha tea before (I am not a tea drinker at all) 
but was fortunate to locate a small tin of it at Wegmans (.07 oz).  
When I opened it I was positive that I would not like the recipe at all. 
The aroma and color of the matcha did nothing to convince me these 
little cakes were going to be tasty.  That said, I decided to go ahead 
and try it but prepare only half of the recipe.  The recipe was quite simple 
and I luckily had some frozen egg whites in the freezer.  The baking time
 was exactly 14 minutes and I ended up with 15 financiers. With all my 
complaining about green cake, I will admit they tasted very good
........ and certainly disappeared quickly. 
Per Tricia~
This week's recipe reminded me of the many other times during our blogging
 adventures that my mom "ran recon" and secured some unusual ingredient
 for us well before I had even read the recipe ! She gave me the heads up
 we were going to need "match" and that she was going to find it for us.
 SOLD. 
While I am a tea drinker, I have not tried matcha. I took one look at
 the bright green powder Nana delivered in one of her little blue 
tupperware and wondered how this one would play out.  
I decided to go the madeleine pan route.  I was still 
skeptical as the batter took shape. The color reminded me of 
a huge bowl of baby food. And not our favorite flavors...
The concept of "eating with your eyes" did not play favorably for this one. 
Once baked and in the madeleine shell shape they looked more appetizing. 
And the actual flavor ? Pretty darn nice frankly. We enjoyed them and
 I was relieved. They had a subtle flavor that was actually quite nice. 
That said, I will likely not revisit this recipe when their are many other 
financier recipes to enjoy- not to mention the actual madeleine recipes !
But it was truly fun to try something new (and hip).
 Funny story, I was ina trendy store this week and no lie- they young couple 
behind me in line were discussing whether they would pick up more matcha. 
The young man said no because the matcha he got from Wegmans "blows his
 mind every morning- it is just so phenomenal". (I can't make this stuff up....).
 And I sat there thinking that at some level I may have actually
 "out-hipstered" them because I not only had that same mind-blowing 
matcha but I was making fancy little cookies with them. 
Score.

This marks another Tuesday recipe testing as we cook along with the "Tuesdays with Dorie" online group.  Please note that we do not post the recipes, per the group rules, but we do encourage others to RUN out and buy their own copy of Dorie Greenspan's "Baking Chez Moi".  Better yet, buy the book and JOIN THE GROUP ! www.TuesdaysWithDorie.wordpress.com

20 comments:

  1. Your cakes look great and so green. I will try this tea when I find it at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story about being out-hipstered. Hilarious! I was not encouraged either... the tea smelled like rabbit or hamster food, but I agree did wind up tasting pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so good! I love Financiers! I will have to make them next week when I am home. I have matcha and the Financier pans sitting in my kitchen, but they are not doing me any good here on Long Island.
    You both did a fantastic job. Loved you hipster story, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your cakes have such a great green color! I really like the matcha madeleines idea, Tricia! Nana, the cross-section of your financier looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Tricia, you are the hipsterest :-)
    Glad your experiment went well with these - this one seems to be a mixed verdict for the group.
    Kind of off-topic, but Starbucks makes a green tea latte that I am rather fond of... (am I allowed to admit that?) Maybe that is because I know that no one else will drink it on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your cakes turned out beautifully. Love the beautiful green color. How fun to be hip. (You were both braver than I was, I substituted vanilla for the Matcha.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the madeleine and mini cupcake shapes turned out beautifully - so moist and such a vibrant shade of green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both cakes look so delicious and green. What a good idea to make them in a Madeline pan, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy reading about the hipster story and seeing the shapes and vibrant color of the financiers from both of your kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ladies, you both did a great job on these. Nana, good on you for finding the matcha. I ended up at a specialty tea shop and the price for matcha was ouchy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just loved your post…both of yours... and way to go Nana for scoring the ingredients for Tricia..how nice of you!! I had so many similar thoughts while baking these…and I had to laugh about the batter reminding you of baby food… baby food…I had the exact same thought and it wasn't a favorite at our house either haha!

    ReplyDelete