Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Soft-Centered Chocolate Teacup Cakes ~ Baking Chez Moi

Per Nana ~
This week's recipe from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking Chez Moi" is a soft-centered teacup
 cake that would be a chocolate lover's delight.  The batter came together easily and 
baked in only 10-12 minutes. Unfortunately, I over baked mine by about 2 minutes
 but they still had a soft center when I removed them from the oven.
I used the bittersweet chocolate, melted with butter, for the cake portion but since I ran 
out of chocolate I used some semi sweet chocolate chips for the centers instead. 

The only cups I could find that were small enough to use for these cakes were my Dansk 
coffee cups, which were still a bit too big. I decided to remove them from the cups after
 baking and served them on a platter with a dusting of sugar.
Having had two cakes leftover, the next day I found them to still be tasty but extremely chewy.
 In any event they were still quite good, almost like eating a brownie. (A very rich brownie....)
Per Tricia ~
This is my first time posting from an iPad as I am away on vacation in Vermont.
 The photos are from my iPhone so that is also a first. I hate it and want my Mac.
Luckily this week's recipe could not have been more of a breeze and while I am late
 to the whole "mug cake" party, it was a revelation to find out how quick and
delicious these little desserts are. Dangerous, in fact ;)
I typically have baking chocolates on hand, not to mention the other standard ingredients
 (confectioners sugar, bit of flour, butter and eggs) so it will be a cinch to knock this recipe
 out again on a cold winter's day when a chocolate fix is needed.
While the ingredients were not exotic, it was a special treat to use farm fresh 
eggs brought by our friends Bryan and Karen of nearby Two Mountain Farm.  
And that wooden spoon turns out to be quite exotic. 
Sourcing your ingredients locally always makes them taste better but having the farmers
 as friends - well that just adds a smile to your face as you taste the results. 
The beautiful spoon you see in the photo was also a gift, hand carved in Ghana and brought
 to us from Bryan who is an amazing volunteer and has set up a non-profit school
educational foundation. I will share more about that in a post when I am not fighting
 with "i-related" technology and just trying to get this published. (if curious, please
check out their site- www.BlackStarEdu.org, it's an amazing foundation).

This marks another Tuesday recipe testing as we cook along with the "Tuesdays with Dorie" online group.  Please note that we do not post the recipes, per the group rules, but we do encourage others to RUN out and buy their own copy of Dorie Greenspan's "Baking Chez Moi".  Better yet, buy the book and JOIN THE GROUP ! www.TuesdaysWithDorie.wordpress.com

9 comments:

  1. Those eggs are beautiful! And the cake looks adorable in that tea cup. Easy chocolate cake? Yes, please. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something quite special about farm fresh eggs. My daughter has chickens and always loads me up with lovely fresh eggs.
    Both of these cakes look fabulous! Can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nana I was in chocolate lovers heaven this month with our selections. Tricia you did a fine job with your i-technology. How lovely to have friends who are farmers. Look forward to hearing more about your foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both your versions look wonderfully delicious. I had no idea you could unmold them - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved these cakes, and seeing your two versions makes me want them again! (i also want some of those gorgeously colored farm eggs!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect treat for a vacation (once all the ingredients are sourced...). This dessert was a hit at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your trip back from VT goes smoothly tomorrow - it was great seeing you, thanks for coming out.
    Both of your cakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete