Friday, September 6, 2013

Fresh Tuna, Mozzarella & Basil Pizza


Per Nana~
Although this week's recipe calls for fresh tuna, I simply could not do it. I substituted sardines, which I think worked very well, adding to the Niçoise flavors.

The puff pastry rounds were a little overdone, but tasted good regardless. After adding the rest of the ingredients I put it back into the oven to heat and it did add to the flavor. I only prepared two because I did not think we were going to enjoy these pizzas but I was surprised that they turned out so well.

The amount of time it took to prepare the recipe was not worth all the trouble and I do not think it will be repeated. That said, I used the balance of the puff pastry to make three delicious apple turnovers. Now that was worth it.....

Per Tricia~
"Do not wait until the last minute".  That was my chant this summer to my sons who had reading and other school commitments to knock out. Hopefully they are not reading the blog this week because I carefully PLANNED on waiting until the list minute (in a procrastinator's defense, it was a busy week :) and preparing this for hubby as a Friday night meal. And then hustling to post all the results.

There is a reason we don't wait..... and that is because "stuff comes up".  Good stuff indeed though and we got an offer today to take our younger son out of school for a few hours of dinner at a nearby restaurant. No raw tuna involved.  Fingers crossed I will be showing my results for next week's post.  And that Nana saved me a turnover.

Happy French Friday !

12 comments:

  1. The turnover makes it all worthwhile :-)
    It looks good, Nana.
    Hang in there, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana - nice work (also, please send me a turnover!) Tricia - hang in there, hope things calm down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice of Nana to save you a turnover! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now those apple turnovers are a great way to use puff pastry, pizza, not so sure about either! They look quite lovely and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a turnover too! I think sardines are a good sub for the tuna, Nana. Tricia, at least you have your priorities straight. Dinner with your son trumps a Dorie recipe any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have most of the ingredients in the house to make the pizza, but somehow tuna and mozzarella don't go together in my head, either. The mixed opinions this week are not helping either.

    I should get "do not wait until the last minute" tattooed on my hand. Or at least create it in a picture for my phone's wallpaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was pretty surprised by how well these turned out too. So much so that I made a second batch. Why oh why didn't I think to make apple turnovers with my extra dough instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about next time making ahi turnovers? I really didn't think they were any trouble at all but then I just skipped the whole puff pastry part and just turned into...drumroll... stuff on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nana, it all looks wonderful - the substitution of sardines sounds creative and looks delicious! I agree though that it was a somewhat time consuming recipe (including all the time it took to find that sushi-grade tuna around here). But I like the way your little pizzas look like and, of course, the apple turnovers look wonderful as well! I would not mind one of these with my cup of tea right now!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nana, your pizza and apple turnovers both look excellent. I agree, given the time commitment I'd rather be eating the turnover...Tricia, that always happens to me when I plan on making the blog recipe late in the week. I'll look for your pizza next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nana, I agree with you...I like the flavors of these pizzas but will probably not make them again. Yours look pretty and the sardines were a good substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tricia, This has been a crazy week for me, too! We were at my daughters, on LI for the weekend. Spending some time with my grandkids before they went back to school. That prevented me from visiting everyone to see their posts. And then, when I got home my computer had a breakdown…now I’m back on line and trying to catch up! Nana, your pizzas look delicious…and sardines sound like a perfect substitute. I made mine with prosciutto…delicious! I love your apple turnovers…a delicious way to use up the puff pastry! Nice post ladies! See you both in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete